continuing pharmacy education programs
The faculty of pharmacy at King Abdulaziz University participates actively in fulfilling one of the important missions of the University, by providing services to Saudi Society. Among the services of the faculty of pharmacy, the continuing pharmacy education programs, organized by the "Continuing Pharmacy Education Unit", stands as one of the most important activities of the faculty. These educational programs are targeted to pharmacists and pharmacy technicians and other health practitioners with the goal of providing quality continuing pharmacy education courses aimed at advancing the practice through accessible and convenient programs, giving insights on the innovative use of technology developing and delivering learning opportunities for practicing pharmacy. Furthermore, this unit collaborates with the Saudi Ministry of Health efforts, to measure up to the level of health services provided to Saudi citizens through continuously updating health practitioners in relation to their perspective fields; ascertaining that their performance is of the highest levels; and verifying that they maintain that level of performance.
The organized continuing pharmacy education programs are always accredited by the only authorized party to approve this kind of activities; the Saudi Commission for Health Specialists (SCFHS). The accredited programs, and in addition to the educational benefits, provide, attendance certificates indicating the number of credit hours (CME) approved by the SCFHS. The scientific events of these programs are completely offered by the faculty staff members in different fields pharmaceutical sciences, in addition to experts from pharmaceutical industries, pharmaceutical management and pharmaceutical care practitioners.
The " Continuing Pharmacy Education Unit" was established in 1426H. The Dean of the faculty of Pharmacy, Prof. Hisham Mosli has reformed the supervising committee of the Continuing Pharmacy Education Unit in 14/1/ /1427.
Objectives of the CPE Unit
- Fulfill one of the missions of the University towards the Saudi Society.
- Playing an active role with the Saudi Ministry of Health in updating health practitioners.
- Provide participants with opportunities to increase and maintain their professional knowledge and skills. •Update pharmacists' knowledge of current concepts in drug therapy and thereby aid in the provision of quality pharmaceutical services. •Provide updated information about new drugs delivered to the market.
- Enrich mutual discussions and change of ideas between pharmacists and other health practitioners in community services, hospitals, drug industries and drug promotion sectors.
- To update knowledge about the new trends in pharmacy education.
- To bridge the gap between old pharmacy practice and the recent implementation of pharmaceutical care.
- Provide official certificates with the accredited number of CME approved by the SCFHS necessary to renewing their licensures.
How the CPE programs are organized and get accredited by the SCFHS?
The CPE committee of the faculty of pharmacy put a plan to organize at least one CPE program every year.
- Major objectives of the program are assigned and announced to all staff members of the faculty of pharmacy.
- Staff members willing to participate in the program provide the committee with titles of their lectures and a soft copy of a power point presentation of the subject.
- Total number of lectures (50 minutes each) is counted to get the total number of lectures included in the program.
- A suitable timetable is arranged and prepared indicating different sessions of the program, the start time of each lecture, prayer times, coffee breaks and any other activities included.
- Auditorium or lectures hall, suitable for accommodation of participants and presentation of lectures is selected, usually inside King Abdulaziz University.
- The whole program is then approved from the dean of the faculty. •Committee supervisor and coordinator start to prepare the necessary forms to get accreditation for the program from the SCFHS.
- All details of the necessary steps to get the program accredited could be obtained from the website of the SCFHS. www.scfhs.org.sa/cme
- Approval of the program by the SCFHS necessitates less than two weeks time, and appears at the website of the SCFHS with other CME accredited programs.
- A registration form is then prepared and disseminated to all interested parties via announcement on the faculty website, faxes and direct contact
- A suitable handouts of all program lectures are usually prepared and distributed to all participants.
- A feedback from the participants is usually collected through special forms prepared by the organizing committee of the program.
- At the end of the program, the dean of the faculty distributes in public, the certificates of attendance to all participants (see example below).
Programs organized by the CPE Units
First Continuing Pharmacy Education Program
The continuing Pharmacy Education (CPE) unit of the faculty of pharmacy in cooperation with the community services and continuing education deanship of the University, have organized in the period; every Wednesday from 28.02.2007 to 4.04.2007; the first continuing pharmacy education program accredited by the Saudi Council for Health Specialists (SCHS) with recognition No. 1775/2006 in 18.08.1427H. More than 90 participants have offered certificates of attendance in this program. This program is intended primarily to develop knowledge and skills of attended pharmacists and provide credits necessary for their the renewal of their licenses.
Second Continuing Pharmacy Education Program
The second continuing pharmacy education program has been accredited by the SCHS with a recognition NO. 3434 in 12.04.1428H (CME 30 hours) and had been organized in the central auditorium of King Fahad Medical Research center at King Abdulaziz University in the period 29-31.05.2007G. 24 Staff members of the faculty of pharmacy gave 30 lectures in the different field of pharmaceutical science. More than 150 pharmacists from Makkah Al Mokarama area have registered in this program. All participants obtained certificate of attendance carrying the signature of the dean of the faculty of pharmacy and the program director.
Third Continuing Pharmacy Education Program
The third continuing pharmacy education program has been accredited by the SCHS with a recognition No. : 4148/2007 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 4148/2007 end_of_the_skype_highlighting at 10-11-2007G, (CME 30 hours) and had been organized in the central auditorium of King Fahad Medical Research center at King Abdulaziz University in the period of 1-3.04.2008G. 30 Staff members of the faculty of pharmacy gave 30 lectures in the different field of pharmaceutical sciences. More than 70 pharmacists from Makkah Al Mokarama area and Abha have registered in this program. All participants obtained certificate of attendance carrying the signature of the dean of the faculty of pharmacy and the program director. Third Continuing Pharmacy Education Program.